Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's time

It’s time. Not so much to make a decision but to make a commitment.

As of today I’m making the commitment to train for my 10th Ironman. The objective is the starting line for Ironman Canada on August 29, 2010.

I had the opportunity to sign up for the race last August, but I chose not to. It was the day before the race and in my mind, I was thinking I’ll race hard tomorrow and then go to Kona. And then take it a bit easier in 2010.

If you haven’t yet checked an Ironman from your ‘To Do’ list, you need to set aside some time to prepare.

My objective last year was simple enough, or so I thought.

I found a new coach and I trained with purpose for more than nine months.

I altered my nutrition, in particular for race morning.

I looked at every aspect of what I did in the water, on the bike and when running.

I was prepared to race my first Sub 10 hour Ironman. And I was confident that I’d be competitive within my age group (45-49). I was not under any illusion.

I would need to be efficient and focused on race day. I had put in the training and I knew my fitness was there. It was about executing all that I knew, and also not thinking too much.

Well, the day didn’t go as planned. After a slight disappointment in the water, I put in a very solid 60 kilometres on the bike. Then my race was sideswiped, so to speak.

I fell.

While I wasn’t hurt, I was a little banged up and it took me a long time to get my mind calm. Too long.

I learned a few lessons that day: one of which was that I need to better manage adversity. No matter how hard I tried my mind was racing far ahead of where I was physically.

At the same time, I was reminded that Ironman is a journey.

I took most of the month of September off training for a number of reasons including recovering from the fall and spending time with family.

I returned to training in October and have slowly rebuilt my base through the end of this month.

I haven’t yet recouped the fitness that I had. But after a year of steady, consistent effort I am swimming and running with solid form.

The last few months have been about deciding whether I want to set aside the time and put in the effort to be as fit as I can for another Ironman Canada.

I love to train. I love the physical and mental benefits that come from becoming increasing fit. I am continuing to evolve as an athlete and I see no reason why that should stop now.

During the next 100 days, I’ll detail the strategies that work for me as I train and prepare for the season ahead.

I’ll talk about the challenges of training through winter, training alone and the challenges of balancing time for my partner, she’s a marathoner, and our one-year-old non-stop dog.

No comments: